Moving some or all of your belongings into a storage unit in Victoria? You’ll need to pack everything properly if you want to make the most of the limited space available to you. Here are some tips for packing and organizing your storage locker.
Careful packing is the first step to having an organized storage unit. Here’s how to do it:
- Collect the supplies you’ll need. You’ll need moving supplies like boxes, tape and something like bubble wrap, paper or Styrofoam peanuts to wrap fragile items. Using only one size of box will make organizing your storage unit easier.
- Pack similar items together. This will prevent you from wasting time searching for things when you go to your storage unit to retrieve them. Be sure to pack heavier items at the bottom of boxes with lighter items on top.
- Label your boxes. On top and on at least one side, write a general description of what’s inside of each box.
- Create a detailed inventory of your boxes. Include a list of what’s in each one. Keep a copy of this inventory at home and another in your unit.
Making the most of your storage unit
Taking an organized approach to moving into your storage unit will make your life easier in the long run.
- Make sure you have the right unit size. It may be tempting to pack your unit to the top, but this will just make finding things more difficult. You may want to consider renting a larger locker in order to give yourself more room to move around.
- Make the most of your wall space. You can install shelving units along one wall to stack things vertically. This also generally makes it easy to access things.
- When stacking boxes, put heavier ones on the bottom. It’s also a good idea to stack your boxes in a brick pattern. You’ll be able to access all your boxes without disturbing the others.
- Keep furniture and boxes on opposite sides. Store large furniture and appliances along one wall, and boxes on the other, creating an aisle that will allow you to access all your belongings.
- Move the boxes you’ll need to access most often at the end. This can include seasonal decor, travel items and off-season clothing and sporting goods. Moving them in last keeps them close to the door and easy to find.
Convenient storage in two Victoria locations